Monday, August 10, 2009

Laura Ling & Euna Lee were lucky as Heck!


Last week we as Americans were feeling quite happy and appreciative because these two women Laura Ling and Euna Lee were brought home from North Korea. I was happy that they were brought home but I couldn't help but to find myself saying these women were so lucky. If things would have worked out differently they would have been serving their ten plus years over there doing hard labor. From what I hear hard labor over there has a whole new meaning that I personally could not see myself being forced to do. If former President Clinton wouldn't have gone over there and made some kind of deal (which is undisclosed) they would be working and slaving over the next ten years of their life.

Although every American was happy they were returned safely a lot of people felt this gesture would undermine US Foreign Policy. this could do that but let's be a little subjective here, America is the richest and most powerful country in the world, I don't think doing a little extra for our people will do anything to hurt our worldly image. Besides I think if it did do something to hurt our image, people ask what would we have done. Quite frankly, I think we would do what we do best and that's pull out our big guns and have a heavy hand on the trigger. I believe after some coercion on our side, things would change.

Lastly those women should be forever changed from this experience and if there not then they need a reality check. If I were them I would never, I repeat I would never go over there for anything ever again in my life. I would also invest in a new career if not that, then a new position that requires me to report only on domestic issues. I hope this not only changed their lives but it serves as a warning to all reporters which says "You better make sure you understand the laws of the land when you go to other countries to report".

For more information on the ladies click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment